Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Jose Bautista, Utility Player


Title says it all.

Actually, that's what it says on Wikipedia. Seriously. The MLB HR leader at the end of July, with 30. Hopefully, whoever wrote that meant "utility player" in the sense that he can play multiple positions, not in the sense that he was mostly a journeyman bench player for most of his career.

But who the heck is this guy? I don't think anyone knows for sure, probably not even Jose himself. This is a guy who I was somewhat upset to see traded for Robinzon Diaz, who I thought was a pretty good catching prospect. This is a guy who came over in August 2008 from Pittsburgh and immediately (and darkly humorously) became the Blue Jays' HR leader with 12. This is a guy whose best asset at the time was his ability to change facial hair four times a week.

Not anymore. I remember watching this guy and cringing when he first came over because he looked like he was wildly (and unsuccessfully) swinging for the fences EVERY SINGLE PITCH. 0-2 count when leading off the third inning? Swing wildly for the fences. Down by 3 runs with bases empty in 9th inning? Swing for the fences. Using a fungo to hit ground balls to infielders during practice? Swing for the fences.

In 2009, his stupid-looking swing continued, and although he hit well against lefties, he sucked against right-handers, posting OPS's of .919 and .664, respectively. And then he went off in the last month and crushed 10 home runs. That put a few thoughts in my head. First, I didn't mind the trade so much anymore because Robinzon Diaz hadn't become much of anything. Second, I thought his versatility could mean something to the team, and I thought the sudden showing of power might be useful off the bench in 2010. I really didn't want to see him non-tendered, as many people thought he might be.

When talk came out of him becoming a regular, I was dumfounded. Most pitchers are right-handed, and he's proven that he can't hit righties at all. Then talk that Cito wanted him in the leadoff role? Shit. As I let that idea sit, however, I started warming up to it. I was thinking that, maybe, in the leadoff role, he might learn to stop swinging for the fences on every single pitch and try to make solid contact more. And, just as they let Marco Scutaro hit in the leadoff spot for a year (which netted them two high draft picks), I thought maybe the same could be done with Bautista, or he could be traded for a nice prospect at the deadline.

I didn't see this coming, however. Apparently, what has happened to Bautista boils down to just two things, which he mentions every time he's interviewed.
1. Regular playing time. Makes sense; it worked for Marco Scutaro, utility player extraordinaire, didn't it?
2. "Getting started earlier". Bautista has said that getting ready to swing the bat ahead of time has helped him. And, what do you know, his stupid wild-looking swing is gone.

So, what does this mean? I, for one, was not at all convinced that he was for real when he started off strong this year. He was available for at least a month on the waiver wires in each of my four fantasy leagues and I passed every time. I knew that he had the potential to hit 15-20 HR with regular playing time, but not 45, which he's actually on pace to exceed. Ridiculous.

He's still under control for another year and I do believe that the Jays have a chance of competing next year, so I'm in no rush to trade him. I would be disappointed if he didn't post another OBP north of .350 next year with 25 bombs, and any team can use that from a guy who can play so many positions. But what if the best possible deal comes along now?

All I can say is that I've never felt so confident in the Blue Jays' GM that the right move will be made. If two top prospects can be had for Bautista, I wouldn't be against a deal. Anything less, and I don't see Anthopoulos giving up on the guy.

Whatever happens, Bautista has been one of many bright spots on this season. From his massive home runs to his laser beam shots that I hope no one tried to catch bare-handed, to his rocket for a right arm, he's living proof that a team can be fun and exciting to follow even when buried beneath the filthy excess of the American League East.

1 comment:

  1. Jose Bautista's new title on Wikipedia should be "Jose Bautista: Destroyer of Pitching, Protector of Outfield, Conqueror of Basepaths"

    ReplyDelete