Monday, December 21, 2009

To Rant or Not To Rant: Why the hell am I starting this blog with a cliche?

To Rant...

Here's what our friends at dictionary.reference.com have to say about the word:

–verb (used without object)
1.
to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.

–verb (used with object)
2.
to utter or declaim in a ranting manner.

–noun
3.
ranting, extravagant, or violent declamation.
4.
a ranting utterance.

Origin: 1590–1600; <>


What have we got here? Well, the first definition of the word isn't too bad. Extravagant, violent, vehement, wild, rave. Words that seem to describe Cito Gaston's logic these days - crap, I promised myself not to start actual posts yet. In any case, that's not a bad way for me to explode verbally, to unleash a lexical diarrhea of sorts upon the uncensored internets, to fire harmless rhetorical missiles at my sports-related targets. I like the root too - "to talk foolishly". While I consider myself generally a sane and logical, rational person, there's gotta be a forum for me to let go of nonsensical, foolish thoughts too right? On that note, 3 of the 4 definitions seem to use variations of the word in its own definition. I freakin' hate that. Especially from as trusted a source as dictionary.com. It's like as blasphemous as if Wikipedia were to misspell some dude's last name.

Don't click that link. It's not actually a misspelling, just a hyperlink there so that I could have a hyperlink in this post.

-Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment